Many ambitious professionals are faced with pressure to pass up their careers, change location, or give their goals to be in a relationship. How do you decide between a relationship or career? Is it possible to have it both ways?
Scenario 1 – Career goals that are not convenient to stay together
1. One person has to give up their career. Whoever possesses the best possibility to accomplish their career should be the one pursuing it, and the other partner should support it. If the career opportunities are conflicting with each other locality forces, then one partner has to prepare the sacrifice their time. It is difficult enough for a successful professional to keep a constant relationship. He or she will need to make sure that there is a level of commitment to grow the relationship.
2. If both careers have the same probability of success, then you still have to sacrifice your career or Leave the Relationship.
- Some people assume that they can sacrifice their career now and still accomplish it later, But rarely is this method practical b/c your partner’s career has to keep developing. If you choose to sacrifice your career for your partner, don’t optimistically assume that you can always go after your career later. Make sure you understand how your decisions
Scenario 2 – Career opportunities are placed in different regions.
Decide who has a better probability of being successful in their Career and The other partner has to provide support.
Scenario 3 – You have a great career to pursue, but your partner doesn’t enjoy a long-distance relationship
If you possess a huge goal, then you just have to choose. You can try convincing your partner to support you, but most of the time your partner has already made up their feelings towards your action, and for you to try to change their mind will be ineffective. So then it might seem like the relationship is going in the short run, but then, over the long term, your partner’s internal feelings will surface, and the relationship could end.
Scenario 4 – Conflicting living preference
1. This usually comes into mind when you are seriously committed to making your relationship a marriage. Live in an area that is the most beneficial to your relationship as a whole. Establish a pro/con list and choose the best situation. If there is still a dilemma, you might have to take some time out and consider what is truly important to you, it’s either the relationship or career.
2. Some couples do not pick their home state, and both go neutral and go along with a state they both didn’t really like, but did it anyway b/c they want to make it FAIR. That’s one of the things you can do, but it’s better if a couple can resolve to live in one of their HOME STATES because at least one person, can get the benefit of being with family and friends.
3. When you ask your partner to move to your country/state, you should not give reasons like FAMILY N FRIENDS b/c that is selfish. It’s obvious that one individual in the relationship is going to have to give up their comfort zone…
Locality decisions should be based on the following: how convenient life will be, career opportunities, affordability, and raising a family. If proximity to Family/Friends are important, then negotiate with your partner. Overall, consider a living situation that can provide the best opportunity to develop a solid relationship.
Scenario 5 – You have dreams/goals, the other is content and prevents you from achieving your dreams
The distressing thing about this scenario is that most of the time people give up their dreams to be with someone who doesn’t have any goals or dreams. If someone loves/cares for you, they SHOULD NOT hold you back on your goals. Relationships should be an inspiring and uplifting experience.
Simply, get out of any relationship that is halting you from progressing in your career. You could say ‘I Love them and I’m willing to give up my career to just be with them.’ BUT FOR WHAT? IS IT NOT POSSIBLE to have a relationship and pursue your career? A relationship is inspirational. Does it sound inspirational to exchange a dream for a relationship that desires you to become mediocre?
Conclusion – Happiness is very subjective. Whatever you are choosing, remember that Sacrifice is a variable of a relationship. Relationships can be powerful when you are with the right partner. Do not sacrifice your career for someone who would not be willing to provide it back to you.
**I will think of more Scenarios, stay tuned….
***FEEL FREE TO COMMENT, ADVICE, ADD OR CRITICIZE EVERYTHING. I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR YOUR PERSPECTIVE. I’M ALWAYS WILLING TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW. THANKS!!!